Roc Homily Part Deux – Twenty-Fourth Sunday Ordinary Time 2016
The Religious Significance of the Illusion of Righteous Anger:
- What does this have to do with 9/11?
- RE: the religious significance of the illusion of righteous anger?
- Often fear elicits anger
- Anger inflates one in order to avoid feeling vulnerable
- Anger allows one to focus outside/blame & not look inside
- Seems to me that we have not been ready to look inside yet…
- We have not grieved the loss of the illusion of our invulnerability over the last 15 years
- We don’t see our need to repent from taking on ourselves the mantle of divine wrath & retribution
- Perhaps, when we can approach this very difficult task, we can meet the prodigal father in the very place of our impotence and fear.