Wrapping Up Advent
This year, Advent taught me about the betwixt and between that characterizes my life always. You? It’s the already, but not yet. Ugh. Who wants to face that?
On the one hand…
- I am impatient that I am incomplete still. My desire to be whole, my demand to be complete is robust even though I try to quell it.
- I don’t want to wait. ‘Nuff said.
- I don’t like feeling vulnerable and powerless over outcomes. Advent waiting has opened up this gap, this chasm between here and Then. Last Day? What about now?
- Wait in joyful hope? What does that look like?
On the other…
5. Though the mountains leave their place
and the hills be shaken,
My love shall never leave you
nor my covenant of peace be shaken,
says the LORD, who has mercy on you.
6. A highway will be there,
called the holy way…
It is for those with a journey to make,
and on it the redeemed will walk.
Those whom the LORD has ransomed will return
and enter Zion singing,
crowned with everlasting joy;
They will meet with joy and gladness,
sorrow and mourning will flee.
And, somewhere in the midst of all this has been Advent.
Peace to you all! –roc,sj