Eleventh Sunday Ordinary Time – What a Parable! (2. Essential Questions)
Life can be so simple at times and complicated at other times. What does it look like to walk the path with Jesus trusting that his Word will transform us? Here’s a few thoughts…
There are many outside and internal influences that affect us while we follow Christ. One fundamental piece that shapes us has to do with our expectations.
- How do I basically approach God? Docile? Rebellious? Docility can be based on fear. Rebellion can be grounded in resentment at my perception of others’ attempt to control me.
- How do I approach God in fact? Does God welcome me? Do I receive the divine welcome deeply? What might I hide from God?
- Do I expect to be transformed? – What does transformation look like? will I end up fulfilled, joyous, carefree, relieved, and totally acceptable forever? Will God “fix” me?
- What effects of transformation do I expect? I expect to struggle less and feel God’s presence more often.
- How does God transform me? influence me? The sacraments, grace, prayer & devotions for sure. Other?
- Do I experience a gap between what I expect and what my life is like?
- How do I respond to the gap? “God requires me to be better than I am. I need to try harder to be better so as to please God.”
In the midst of our daily lives, it is good to notice how we reflect on our experience. More tomorrow!